Thursday, July 11, 2013

Back to Back

Check out my post from a couple of weeks ago (Three in a Row)...I totally called it!

For the past few days I was restless. I had a client due and I wanted her to go into labor and I was even commiserating with my husband about how I was anxious for her to have her baby, but she wasn't really showing signs. She scheduled her induction on my anniversary and I was kind of feeling bummed. Not exactly how I was expected to celebrate 9 years of marriage, but I finally came to terms with it.

Two days before her scheduled induction, I was on-call, which just means I was available to help any of the other doulas who needed help in our group. I was just about to get in bed when I got a call that one of the other doulas was driving back from vacation and needed some back up help until she got there in 2 hours. So I got re-dressed and headed to the hospital. I was there for 2 hours until she got there and then I headed home. I fell into a deep sleep at 1am.

At 3am, I was abruptly woken up by my phone ringing. I literally didn't know what was going on. I answered the phone and it was my client who said she was in labor and they were heading to the hospital...the same hospital I had just come from 3 hours before that!

I got re-dressed...again... and headed there to help her have her baby about 12 hours later.

I have one more client due in a couple weeks, so I texted her to make sure she wasn't in labor, because I was sure all these babies were going happen all at once again.

As a doula, my life is filled with long periods of waiting for things to happen followed by short intense excitement. What an awesome job. I wonder what the next couple of weeks has in store for me??! Keeps me on my toes ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment