Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Journey in Adoptive Breastfeeding: Part 2

So surprise, yes, I plan to and hope to breastfeed our third child one day. The funny thing with adoption is that you could get a child right away or wait a very long time (years even). So with that in mind, I began the induced lactation protocol. I started the birth control right when we got on the waiting list and continued it for about 5 month (about 20 weeks) not taking the reminder pills. I didn't have my period for that whole time. Then I stopped the pill and began to pump. To my shear delight, I was pumping what looks just like colostrum! I couldn't believe it! It took many days (up to about 7-8 days) for my colostrum to change to mature milk, but eventually it did. I usually pump about every two hours during the day. I decided not to make myself crazy, so I have not been pumping at night. I believe that this is one reason the I don't have a full milk supply. I am able to pump about 10 ounces per day.

My husband bought be a great big deep freezer to store the breastmilk in for 6-12 months. The idea is that I will probably not ever have a full milk supply, so I will have extra to supplement with. I have probably about 500 ounces of milk stored. Exciting!


My hope is that I will be able to successfully breastfeed, even partially. But only time and a new baby will tell. More to come...

1 comment:

  1. Wow that is a lot of milk! You are absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete