Saturday, July 14, 2012

My First Doula Experience

After what felt like months of waiting, it finally happened. I attended my first birth! I should have known something might happen since Friday the 13th was just around the corner. In the midst of dinner making on Thursday, I got the call. We all rode to the hospital together and "mom" was admitted. She was such a champion, even through excruciating back labor! At first it seemed like I wouldn't be needed since there was lots of family present, but my doula skills and my bag of goodies came in handy. In addition to the snacks I brought in my doula bag, I had some tools that really helped mom. She loved the icepack for her back and general cooling. The flower fan and trigger ball were big hits too. I was also able to suggest some walking and some position changes that helped move labor along. Although mom had some fear about labor and delivery, she conquered each one and had a great vaginal delivery. So proud of her and happy that my training really paid off!

It was such an emotional experience to see a baby being born. Tears gushed from my eyes, as we all rejoiced for the proud parents and congratulated mom's efforts. My first birth is something that I will remember and hold dear for the rest of my life. Thank you (you know who you are) for allowing me to be apart of such a personal and precious part of your life!
(permission to post from parents)

1 comment: