Friday, July 6, 2012

The Adoptive Parent and Postpartum Care

Adoption is a huge part of my life. Both of my sons are adopted and it has been a way of life for my family (extended too) and me. One thing I really wished that I had, was post-adoption help from someone who had adoption experience. My mom helped with basic infant care and my sister-in-law helped with breastfeeding, but I didn't have emotional support I needed.  Even though I had read books, I was not prepared. I felt like I had to be super-mom since I hadn't actually given birth, but what I really needed was to nest-in with my new little one and let everything else go.

There is a real need for adoptive parents to have post-adoption care from someone who knows what to expect when you have just entered into an adoptive relationship. There needs to be time for bonding and attachment, along with basic knowlege of infant care, breastfeeding support (if applicable), household organization, etc. Also, adoptive mothers (and fathers) can experience post-adoption mood disorders, like depression and anxiety. Someone who can help identify this, as well as help the parents with their new adjustment, is key to a positive adoptive experience. I think a great soluntion to this is the postpartum doula. Even better is a postpartum doula who has experienced adoption in someway.

Adoption can be challenging, but with some post-adoption support and tons of parental love, it can also be an amazingly rewarding experience for everyone involved!


1 comment:

  1. never thought about adoption having it's own set of "after emotions" but this gives me a whole new perspective....love that you are doing this annie. you are going to be such a blessing to other moms b/c of your experience...

    ReplyDelete