Monday, July 23, 2012

Baby Number Two

Well, it finally happened, I attended my second birth! As I waited for my two overdue clients to call me, they went into labor virtually at the same time. I couldn't believe it! But since I work with a back up doula, both clients were covered.

I got a call on Wednesday night from the mom who wasn't quite 41 weeks. She said she was having regular non-painful contractions. I was pretty sure these were not Braxton-Hicks, but I waited until midnight on Thursday morning to come over to her house. She labored at home until 4am and then we went to the hospital. We had no idea what was in store for her. She was in active labor for over 30 hours and 24 hours unmedicated. She was awesome! Baby was big and a little stuck but she pushed through the pain and exhaustion and had a beautiful vaginal delivery early Friday morning.

As a doula, I helped her constantly change positions to get the baby to come down, but it seemed like everything we tried didn't work. The midwife was really proud of her for moving around and changing her position. Without her hard work, she most likely would have had a c-section.

It was such a hard labor, but it was such an honor to be by her side and cheer her on. Most of all it was so amazing when she finally triumphed. I was so proud of her and over-joyed to meet her little boy. Thank you to those tough parents who allowed me to be a part of his miraculous appearance. I have never met a tougher mother in my whole life!

(permission to post from parents)

1 comment: