Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Cultures, Customs and Caring

Being a doula is so cool! I get to meet so many people with such different cultures and beliefs whom I wouldn't normally meet in my everyday life.

 Recently, I have met a family with deep religious beliefs and customs. They were very nice and welcoming people, but I was caught off-guard. I was dressed inappropriately for their customs and was embarrassed (although they seemed very understanding and not offended at all). After leaving their home, I was struck by how doulas must be aware and respectful of the environments that they are entering. It was a lesson learned and I hope I can do a better job of respecting people's beliefs in the future.

And last week I had a meeting with some folks who were very into spirituality, but not necessarily a particular religion. Although, we undoubtedly won't agree on every spiritual thing, I know that her birth and her baby will unite us. That is what being a doula is all about. Serving the mom during a time where she can be completely vulnerable, but she can feel completely safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment