Monday, September 16, 2013

Pregnancy and Pelvic Floor Issues

Many women struggle with pelvic floor issues after pregnancy, labor and delivery. It is not uncommon to lose control of bladder and/or bowl function after this major life event. The following is an account of one woman's experience:

"I had my son 14 months ago in what I would describe as a long and hard labor. I pushed for 4 hours. I knew there would be swelling and soreness after labor and it would take some time for my body to get back on track. After labor while still in the hospital I expected everything that was happening to my body. I didn't know what it would feel like, but I figured my body just went through some serious trauma so there would most definitely be some aftermath.

It wasn't until I got home from the hospital that I suddenly realized I had no control of my bladder. I didn't have the sensation to pee which led to lots of "accidents." It seemed as though some women could relate to a certain degree but not to the full extent.

As time went on it got a little better. I regained the sensation to pee at around 5 or 6 weeks. Though I still was unable to hold it. If I jumped, walked at a fast pace, did anything bouncy, I would pee my pants. Yes folks, I'm a grown woman who pees her pants. I saw in a movie one time that peeing your pants is cool. I'm trying to bring that back! :)

I recently listened to a Pregnancy, Birth and Pelvic Floor Issues webinar with Dr. Roger Lefevre. I found the webinar very useful in regards to floor exercises and pelvic strength training that could help with my "leakage." The webinar spoke truth to some misconceptions I had about bladder control. One misconception I had was that kegels weren't really doing much in helping to regain pelvic strength. The webinar highlighted the importance of kegels and how truly simple they are.

So, today I am 14 months post baby and I have regained a lot of pelvic strength. I'm not quite where I was pre-baby but day by day getting there."


If you are struggling with pelvic floor issues and want to get help, a great place to start is listening to 
Pregnancy, Birth and Pelvic Floor Issues.  Help is definitely available and a better quality of life is attainable. Don't settle for anything less!

No comments:

Post a Comment