Sunday, June 23, 2013

Three in a Row

A question a lot of clients ask me is, "how many births do you take a month?" They are trying to determine the likelihood that someone else will have a baby on the same day that they do. This is a totally valid question and concern. My answer is that I usually take 1-2 births a month, since I am balancing family life and my career.

June started out like any other month. I had one client due on June 14th and another due on June 28th. This is my normal load and two weeks a part is typically a "safe" time apart and it was. None of my clients had their babies on the same day...they just had them two days apart!

To add to this I was backing-up another doula who happened to have both of her clients (due two weeks apart), have their babies on the same day. So to help her out, I attended part of one of those labors. In less than 7 days, I attended 3 clients' labors. All three of those clients happen to need labor support overnight (anywhere from 8pm-4am). Needless to say I was exhausted by the end of the week, but loved every moment!

So now I am through June and have a bit of a break; but what did I do?...took a July 6th birth! I have another client due July 19th, so I bet they will have their babies during the same week. I love being a doula and figuring it all out. What a fun and rewarding job.

After the summer (and my live-in sister-in-law moves out), I will be back to my normal client load of 1-2 clients a month. I promise...

No comments:

Post a Comment