Friday, May 24, 2013

C-Section in the OR

A couple of my clients have had C-sections in the past for "emergency" reasons, but this is the first time that one of my clients was having a planned C-section because of a breech presentation. Her baby had been breech for sometime, but she was still planning on having me there for support of her birth. She had done tons of research, including some on family-centered cesarean sections, so she asked her OB if I could come into the operating room and he said...YES! So I was able to support her and her husband in the OR. It was really cool because I was able to take pictures of the events while dad could enjoy the birth with his wife. At one point dad was called over to where their baby was so I got to talk to mom and tell her exactly what was happening with her baby. I think she really appreciated the attention and support amidst the hustle and bustle of the OR. I may not have been able to provide as much physical support as I usually do, but I provided emotional care and support of the family, which turned out to be extra helpful since mom was really nervous about the C-section. I stayed much longer afterwards than a typical birth so I could help her with breastfeeding and adjusting after she starting having pain from the operation.

I was so excited to be a part of their special day, even though it wasn't exactly how they planned it to go. I am also pretty impressed that the hospital allowed a doula into the OR and that many hospitals are moving toward a more family centered, doula-friendly OR atmosphere.

1 comment: