Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Easter Surprise!

So the week before Easter was super crazy. I won't bore you with details but it involved an overnight postpartum visit, my parents spending one night, hosting a neighborhood Easter egg hunt, preparing for in-laws coming into town for a 3 day visit, my 31st birthday, and oh yeah, did I mention it was spring break so both kids were home. It was a bit stressful, but totally do-able.

A midst all the hoopla, I remembered that I had a client that was 7 days overdue. So I checked in with her via text. Everything was the same (i.e. no contractions or signs of labor) and she told me that she was nervous about the possible looming induction. So I said not to worry and gave her a list of natural labor starters and with a focus on nipple stimulation 2-3 times a day with a breastpump on low. And I thought, "Ok, great, I'll be able to get through the holiday weekend with no baby."

As I am laying down to sleep after an exhausting Saturday of running around and hosting my in-laws, I get a text that my overdue client is in labor. "Ahhhh!", I think, "not now!" After a couple of hours of phone doula-ing, I knew it is time to go. We met at the hospital. Everything went great and a healthy baby was born bright and early Easter morning.

Despite my original lack of enthusiasm, I was so excited for the parents and they seemed over-joyed with the whole birth experience.  I think the lesson learned there is that you never know how the day will turn out and as a doula we have to always be ready to serve and put our best foot forward for moms (and dads) who really need you.


Happy Easter!

No comments:

Post a Comment