Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Some Postpartum Tips

I have been on hiatus, well, kind of. I have taken off the month of January for birth doula-ing, but for the months of December through February, I have had the shear pleasure to work with a great family as a postpartum doula. This "time off" was refreshing and renewing for me. It allowed me to have a more predictable schedule and not be as exhausted. Working with a lovely family has really renewed my passion as a postpartum doula. I was feeling a bit down, after some difficult experiences, but this one really lifted my spirits and reminded me of some great knowledge about the postpartum period that I want to pass along.

1. Breastfeeding. If you are nervous about breastfeeding or are having difficulty, it is so important to get support through it. Whether you visit your local la leche league, use a postpartum doula, or see a lactation consultant, it is just important to have support and correct information. Another important point about breastfeeding is that your newborn (up to around 2 months) needs to eat 10-12 times a day. I know that it seems like a lot, but this is what your baby will require. Sleepy babies do not gain the weight the way they should. Here are some ways to wake your sleepy baby.

2. Get out and about when you can. Or have people to your home so you don't feel isolated. Knowing that you have a break from the "normal" routine may lift your spirits and help you avoid baby blues or postpartum mood disorders. Consult your doctor as to when is a good time to take your baby in large crowds.

3. Wear your baby! This is the number one thing I can recommend to new parents. Babies love to be worn and you can get household chores done at the same time. Baby wearing also counts as tummy time for your newborn. There are so many benefits of baby wearing and you can check them out here. There are great places to check out all the different options for baby wearing. If you are local to the Baltimore area, Greenberries or Soft and Cozy Baby have baby wearing experts.

I wish you all the best in your postpartum period with your family and new baby!

Yup, that's me baby wearing just after putting on a duvet cover on a duvet. Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment